Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I have an obsession

Well... an obsession probably isn't the most accurate statement. One obsession in particular is on my mind.

Cookies.

Specifically: chocolate chip cookies.

This minor obsession (what, it's not minor? ... ok) is paired with a weakness. I don't turn them down. Ever. And if they're in front of me, they will be consumed. I may not even realize I'm eating them.

I've been this way since childhood. I blame give credit to my mother, who bakes voraciously and spent two years of my childhood perfecting her chocolate chip cookie recipe: Kristi Cookies. Yeah, we named it after her. I would (literally) eat 25-30 of the 48 yield when I was in high school. In two days. Maybe a day and a half. She also passed on my stellar metabolism, so everything is balanced in that respect.

I think cookies can/should/will be a fixture on the blog and I will try to post more varieties than chocolate chip.

Last weekend, I discovered and had to try the Cooks Illustrated "Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie." They were damn good, but I don't know about perfect. I mean, there was an option for nuts. Not perfect. The recipe, however, did contain one little nugget of genius: browned butter. Definitely helped provide the toffee flavor they were searching for. These will be made again, with lessons learned, and process pictures to boot. In the meantime:

1 comment:

  1. there was an option for nuts = not perfect. i couldn't have said it better myself. yes, these will be made again. and tweaked.

    ReplyDelete